How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Elena Escolano Rodrìguez
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
This article describes the difficult work of revising the ISBD standard. It reviews the previous work and the conceptual and structural problems found in the process of updating the ISBD standard. After the recognition of the difficulties in debates, two points of view were distinguished among the members of the group that ended with the split of the ISBD Editorial Group into two subgroups. The article also gives an account of the changes carried out in the updating of the content of ISBD, to end with the discussion topics of the second working group that will change the structure of ISBD as we know it today
- Escolano, Elena. 2019. ‘Update on the Work of the ISBD Revision: Paper Presented at the 85th World Library and Information Congress, Committee on Standards Open Session: Recently Approved IFLA Standards (Atenas, 26 August 2019)’. IFLA. https://www.ifla.org/files/assets/cataloguing/isbdrg/updateontheworkofisbdrevision_9-8-2019.pdf.
- Escolano, Elena, Donatella Randazzo, Maria Pilar Alonso-Lifante, and Francisco Javier Molero. 2017. ‘Advocating for a Change of Mentality in the Development of Metadata Standards: Historical Celestial Cartography as a Specialization Example’. JLIS 8 (3): 39–57. https://doi.org/10/gnt2tp.
- IFLA. 2017. IFLA Library Reference Model. A Conceptual Model for Bibliographic Information. Edited by Pat Riva, Patrick Le Boeuf, and Maja Zumer. Den Haag: IFLA. https://www.ifla.org/files/assets/cataloguing/frbr-lrm/ifla_lrm_2017-03.pdf.
- ———. 2021. ‘ISBD Linked Data Study Group’. Https://www.ifla.org. 2021. https://www.ifla.org/isbd-linked-data-study-group/.
- IFLA Cataloguing Section and IFLA Meeting of Experts on an International Cataloguing Code. 2016. Statement of International Cataloguing Principles (ICP). Rev. 2017. Den Haag: IFLA.
- IFLA ISBD Linked Data Study Group. 2016. Guidelines for Use of ISBD as Linked Data. Den Haag: IFLA. https://repository.ifla.org/bitstream/123456789/1384/1/guidelines-use-isbdld_082016.0.pdf.
- IFLA ISBD Review Group. 2011. ‘Minutes: Presented at 77th IFLA General Conference, San Juan, Puerto Rico, 13-18 August: Cataloguing Section’. IFLA. https://www.ifla.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/assets/cataloguing/isbdrg/meeting_2011.pdf.
- ———. 2017. ‘Annual report 2016-2017’. IFLA. https://www.ifla.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/assets/cataloguing/isbdrg/isbdrg_report_2016-2017.pdf.
- ———. 2018a. ‘ISBD Editorial Group. Terms of Reference’. IFLA. https://www.ifla.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/assets/cataloguing/isbdrg/isbd_editorial_group.pdf.
- ———. 2018b. ‘Proposed Work Plan for ISBD Revision 2018-2022’. IFLA. https://www.ifla.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/assets/cataloguing/isbdrg/proposed_work_plan_for_isbd_revision_2018-2022.pdf.
- ———. 2019. ‘Action Plan 2019-2020’. IFLA. https://www.ifla.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/assets/cataloguing/isbdrg/isbd_rg_-_action_plan_2019-2020_.pdf.
- ———. 2021. ‘ISBD: Update 2021 to the 2011 Consolidated Edition [DRAFT]’. https://www.ifla.org/news/isbd-update-2021-to-the-2011-consolidated-edition-draft/.
- IFLA ISBD Review Group. Task Group for the Analysis of the Alignment and Impact of IFLA LRM on ISBD. 2017a. ‘Mapping from ISBD to IFLA LRM: Final Version 2017, as amended in 2018’. IFLA. https://www.ifla.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/assets/cataloguing/isbd/OtherDocumentation/mapping_isbd-lrm_amd_2018_v.1.0.pdf.
- ———. 2017b. ‘Report’. IFLA. https://www.ifla.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/assets/cataloguing/isbd/OtherDocumentation/isbd-lrm_alignment_report.pdf.
- IFLA Study Group on the Functional Requirements for Bibliographic Records. 1998. Functional Requirements for Bibliographic Records. Final Report. München: K.G. Saur.
- IFLA Working Group on the International Standard Bibliographic Description for Analytic Entries 1978-83, and IFLA Ad Hoc Working Group on Guidelines for the Description of Component Parts 1985-87. 1988. Guidelines for the Application of the ISBDs to the Description of Component Parts. London: IFLA Universal bibliographic control and International MARC programme British library bibliographic services. https://repository.ifla.org/handle/123456789/807.
- Ranganathan, Shiyali Ramamrita. 1964. Classified Catalogue Code with Additional Rules for Dictionary Catalogue Code. 5th ed. Bombay: Asia Publishing House.
- Wetterstrom, Mikael. 2021. ‘ISBD and LRM. The ISBD Revision Work to Date by the ISBD for Manifestation Task Force’. https://es.slideshare.net/ISSNIC40/isbd-and-lrm.